- Professor, Department of Radiology
Director and Charles A. Gargano Chair, Advanced Cardiovascular Imaging
Director, Dalio Center for Cardiovascular Wellness and Preventive Research
MICHAEL POON MD
- AFFINITY HEALTH PLAN
- AGEWELL (FIDA)
- BEECH STREET
- CIGNA GREAT WEST HEALTHCARE
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA PPO
- EMBLEM GHI CBP
- EMBLEM HIP-HMO
- EMBLEM HIP-MEDICAID
- EMBLEM HIP-MEDICARE
- EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE HMO
- EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE INDEMNITY PLANS
- EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE PPO
- EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE SENIOR PLAN
- FIDELIS CARE NEW YORK
- ISLAND GROUP ADMINISTRATION
- MAGNACARE HEALTH REPUBLIC EXCHANGE
- MULTIPLAN PHCS
- MULTIPLAN SAVILITY
- NO FAULT
- UNITED EMPIRE PLAN (NYSHIP)
- UNITED HEALTHCARE
- UNITED OXFORD FREEDOM PLAN
- UNITED OXFORD LIBERTY PLAN
- VISITING NURSE SERVICES (FIDA)
- VYTRA (except SMART START)
- WORKERS COMP
Education & Training
- Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NY
- Internal Medicine, Mt. Sinai Hospital, NY
Cardiology, Mt. Sinai Hospital, NY
Academic & Other
- Teaching Activity:
- Cardiac Imaging Radiology and Internal Medicine
- Year Appointed at
Selected for inclusion in New York Magazine's Best Doctors 2014 listing
One of the "Doctors of Excellence" featured in the previous and latest editions (2013) of the Castle Connolly Guides, Top Doctors:New York Metro Area and America's Top Doctors.
Selected for inclusion in New York Magazine's Best Doctors 2013 listing
Selected for inclusion in New York Magazine's Best Doctors 2010 listing as well as 2004 through to and including 2008
Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
Immediate-past President, Society of the Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT)
Clinician-Scientist Award & Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association
PI: Phase II Coronary MDCTA with lopamidol injection 270; MDCT Core Lab Director for Predictive Power of MDCT-64 Trial; MDCT Core Lab Director of WHISPER Trial
- Clinical Practice Began:
DEPARTMENT OF RADIOLOGY,
3 EDMUND D PELLEGRINO RD,
1. Poon M, Marx SO, Gallo R, Badimon JJ, Taubman MB, Marks AR. Rapamycin inhibits vascular smooth muscle cell migration. J Clin Invest. 1996 Nov 15;98(10):2277-83.
2. Poon M, Liu B, Taubman MB. Identification of a novel dexamethasone-sensitive RNA-destabilizing region on rat monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1999 Oct;19(10):6471-8.
3. Horn EM, Barst RJ, Poon M. Epoprostenol for treatment of pulmonary hypertension in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Chest. 2000 Oct;118(4):1229-30.
4. Poon M, Badimon JJ, Fuster V. Overcoming restenosis with sirolimus: from alphabet soup to clinical reality. Lancet. 2002 Feb 16;359(9306):619-22. Review.
5. Sulica R, Emre S, Poon M. Medical management of porto-pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure prior to living-related liver transplantation. Congest Heart Fail. 2004 Jul-Aug;10(4):192-4.
6. Sanz J, Rius T, Kuschnir P, Fuster V, Goldberg J, Ye XY, Wisdom P, Poon M.
The importance of end-systole for optimal reconstruction protocol of coronary angiography with 16-slice multidetector computed tomography. Invest Radiol. 2005 Mar;40(3):155-63.
7. Hendel RC, Patel MR, Kramer CM, Poon M, Hendel RC, Carr JC, Gerstad NA, Gillam LD, Hodgson JM, Kim RJ, Kramer CM, Lesser JR, Martin ET, Messer JV, Redberg RF, Rubin GD, Rumsfeld JS, Taylor AJ, Weigold WG, Woodard PK, Brindis RG, Hendel RC, Douglas PS, Peterson ED, Wolk MJ, Allen JM, Patel MR; ACCF/ACR/SCCT/SCMR/ASNC/NASCI/SCAI/SIR 2006 appropriateness criteria for cardiac computed tomography and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Quality Strategic Directions Committee Appropriateness Criteria Working Group, American College of Radiology, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, North American Society for Cardiac Imaging, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Interventional Radiology.
American College of Cardiology Foundation Quality Strategic Directions Committee Appropriateness Criteria Working Group; American College of Radiology; Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography; Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance; American Society of Nuclear Cardiology; North American Society for Cardiac Imaging; Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions; Society of Interventional Radiology.
J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006 Oct 3;48(7):1475-97.
8. Sanz J, Kuschnir P, Rius T, Salguero R, Sulica R, Einstein AJ, Dellegrottaglie S, Fuster V, Rajagopalan S, Poon M. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: noninvasive detection with phase-contrast MR imaging.Radiology. 2007 Apr;243(1):70-9. Epub 2007 Feb 28.
9. Dellegrottaglie S, Sanz J, Poon M, Viles-Gonzalez JF, Sulica R, Goyenechea M, Macaluso F, Fuster V, Rajagopalan S. Pulmonary hypertension: accuracy of detection with left ventricular septal-to-free wall curvature ratio measured at cardiac MR. Radiology. 2007 Apr;243(1):63-9.
10. Poon M, Rubin GD, Achenbach S, Attebery TW, Berman DS, Brady TJ, Jacobs JE, Hecht HS, Lima JA, Weigold WG. Consensus update on the appropriate usage of cardiac computed tomographic angiography. J Invasive Cardiol. 2007 Nov;19(11):484-90.
Advanced cardiac imaging using state of the art magnetic resonance (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) technology available here at Stony Brook enables our physicians unsurpassed image clarity and infinitive viewing angle of the heart and vascular structures. These two imaging techniques help solve many difficult and challenging clinical problems in cardiovascular medicine without invasion of the body. Cardiac CT is the most accurate non-invasive imaging method for ruling out the presence of coronary artery disease. Cardiac MRI is considered the gold standard for the evaluation of cardiac function and viability. At Stony Brook, we have the world's most advanced cardiac CT scanners that are able to diagnose the presence or absence of coronary artery disease using less radiation than one gets from the sun in a single year. Certain clinical diagnoses, such as congenital coronary or cardiac anomalies - potentially deadly forms of cardiac malformations present at birth- are diagnosed without any radiation at all using our state-of-the-art cardiac MRI scanners.