- Internal Medicine
Hematology and Oncology
- Director, Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Program
Director, Hematologic Malignancy Program
MICHAEL SCHUSTER MD
BENIGN HEMATOLOGICAL DISORDERS
BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT
CHRONIC MYELOGENOUS LEUKEMIA (CML)
MATCHED UNRELATED DONOR (MUD) ALLOGENEIC TRANSPLANT
MYELODYSPLASTIC SYNDROME (MDS)
UMBILICAL CORD BLOOD TRANSPLANTS
AFFINITY HEALTH PLAN
CIGNA GREAT WEST HEALTHCARE
EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE HMO
EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE OTHER PLANS
EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE PPO
EMPIRE BLUE CHOICE SENIOR PLAN
FIDELIS CARE NEW YORK
ISLAND GROUP ADMINISTRATION
NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH PLAN
SUFFOLK HEALTH PLAN
UNITED EMPIRE PLAN (NYSHIP)
UNITED OXFORD FREEDOM PLAN
VYTRA (except SMART START)
Education & Training
- Dartmouth Medical School, NH
- Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School, MA
Hematology/Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School, MA
Academic & Other
- Academic Rank:
- Clinical Professor
- Teaching Activity:
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Year Appointed at
Selected for inclusion in New York Magazine's Best Doctors 2013 listing
New York Magazine's Best Doctors in New York, 9 consecutive years, 2002 - 2010
One of the "Doctors of Excellence" featured in the previous and the latest editions (2012) of the Castle Connolly Guides,
Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, America's Top Doctors for Cancer, and America's Top Doctors.
American Medical Association
American College of Physicians
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Society of Hematology
New York Blood Club
American Society of Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation
International Society for Hematotherapy and Graft Engineering
The Bone Marrow Foundation (Board of Advisors Member)
New drug development in hematological malignancies and cancer
Detection of minimal residual disease in lymphoma
MDR expression in leukemic cells
- Clinical Practice Began:
3 EDMUND D PELLEGRINO RD,
3003 NEW HYDE PARK ROAD,
NEW HYDE PARK,
331 EAST 65TH STREET,
1. Richardson PG, Sonneveld P, Schuster MW, Irwin D, Stadtmauer EA, Facon T,Harousseau JL, Ben-Yehuda D, Lonial S, Goldschmidt H, Reece D, San-Miguel JF, Blade J, Boccadoro M, Cavenagh J, Dalton WS, Boral AL, Esseltine DL, Porter JB, Schenkein D, Anderson KC. Bortezomib or high- dose dexamethasone for relapsedmultiple myeloma. N Engl J Med. 2005 Jun 16;352(24):2546-8.
2. Shore T, Harpel J, Schuster MW, Roboz GJ, Leonard JP, Coleman M, Feldman EJ, Silver RT. A study of a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen followed by allogeneic Stem cell transplantation for patients with hematologic malignancies using Campath-1H as part of a graft-versus-host disease strategy. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2006 Aug;12(8):868-75.
3. Lee SJ, Richardson PG, Sonneveld P, Schuster MW, Irwin D, San Miguel JF, Crawford B, Massaro J, Dhawan R, Gupta S, Anderson KC. Bortezomib is associated with better Health- related quality of life than high-dose dexamethasone in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma: results from the APEX study. Br J Haematol. 2008 Nov;143(4):511-9.
4. William J. Evans, John E. Morley, Josep Argiles, Connie Bales, Vickie Baracos, Denis Guttridge, Aminah Jatoi, Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, Herbert Lochs, Giovanni Mantovani, Daniel Marks, William E. Mitch, Maurizio Muscaritoli, Armine Najand, Piotr Ponikowski, Filippo Rossi Fanelli, Morrie Schambelan, Annemie Schols, Michael Schuster, David Thomas, Robert Wolfe, Stefan Anker, Cachexia: A New Definition. Clinical Nutrition Volume 27, Issue 6, December 2008, Pages 793-799.
5. Richardson PG, Sonneveld P, Schuster MW, Stadtmauer EA, Facon T, Harousseau JL, Ben-Yehuda D, Lonial S, Goldschmidt H, Reece D, Blad J, Boccadoro M, Cavenagh JD, Reversibility of symptomatic peripheral neuropathy with bortezomib in the phase III APEX trial in relapsed multiple myeloma: impact of a dose-modification guideline. Br J Hematol. 2009 Mar;144(6):895-903. Epub 2009 Jan 16.
6. SS Yeh, S. Lovitt, MW Schuster, Usage of Megesterol Acetate in the Treatment of Anorexia-Cachexia Syndrome in the Elderly. The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging, 2009 May; 13(5):448-54.
7. Sergio A. Giralt, William I. Bensinger, and Michael W. Schuster, The Hematology Circle: Optimizing Pretransplant Induction Regimens for Multiple Myeloma and Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Blood and Marrow Transplantation Reviews: Volume 19, Issue 1, 2009.
8. Paul J. Martin, Carlos R. Bachier, Hans-Georg Klingemann, Philip L. McCarthy, Paul Szabolcs, Joseph P. Uberti, Michael W. Schuster, Daniel Weisdorf, Nelson J. Chao,
Partow Kebriaei, Elizabeth J. Shpall, Margaret L.MacMillan, Robert J. Soiffer, Endpoints for Clinical Trials Testing Treatment of Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease: A Joint Statement, Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009 Jul;15(7):777-84. Epub 2009 May 13.
9. Partow Kebriaei, Luis Isola, Erkut Bahceci, Kwent Holland, Scott Rowley, Joseph
McGirk, Marcel Devetten, Jan Jansen, Roger Herzig, Michael Schuster, Rod Monroy and Joseph Uberti, Adult Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells Added to Corticosteroid
Therapy Improves Outcomes of Graft Versus Host Disease, Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2009 Jul;15(7):804-11
There are 700 + physicians and other health care providers practicing within 18 different clinical entities, or specialty groups that are affiliated with Stony Brook University Physicians (SBU Physicians). Together, these providers offer patients of all ages a comprehensive range of high quality medical services, from primary care to advanced specialty care. The physicians and health care professionals affiliated with SBU Physicians are committed to excellence in service and leadership in clinical care. In their capacity as faculty of the Stony Brook University School of Medicine, they also educate medical students, interns, residents and fellows in many specialties and sub-specialties, and engage in research and clinical trials that help to advance the science of medicine.
These physicians and health care professionals are committed to excellence in service and leadership in clinical care for their patients. SBU Physicians supports and coordinates this mission and maintains this website for patients, physicians and staff.